Is polyester breathable?
Polyester pertains to the fabric that is made using polyester yarns of fibres. It is a kind of plastic that results from the combination of ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid. A shortcut term for polyethylene terephthalate, it’s a human-made and synthetic polymer. When made as a piece of fabric, polyester can be used in clothing, furniture and other textile products.
Characteristics of Polyester
Leading fabric retailer Yorkshire Fabric Shop enumerates some of the best features of polyester compared to other fabrics:
- A quick-drying fabric, which makes it an excellent material for outdoor use
- Can resist withering, wrinkling, stretching, and abrasion issues
- Very durable and can withstand various chemicals
- Very strong yet being lightweight is maintained
- It can be dyed easily
- Retains its shape quickly
- Can be washed and dried at home
Types of Polyester Fabrics
1. Ethylene polyester - also known as PET, is the most popular polyester fabric in the market.
2. Plant based polyester - this is the environmentally-friendly polyester. A biodegradable fabric, however, is more costly compared to other polyester types. Moreover, this is less durable than PET and PCDT types.
3. PCDT Polyester - This may be the least popular among the three, but this is the most elastic. It makes this fabric an excellent option in various industries. Polyester is also a durable fabric, making it another best material for curtains and upholstery products.
Polyester as a Breathable Fabric
One of the qualities that consumers are looking for fabric is its breathability. It means that these fabrics can allow air to flow through its fibres easily. This feature can speed up the sweat to evaporate, providing a cooler and more comfortable feeling. Polyester is a famous fabric in the workout and active clothing line because of its lightweight and breathable structures. It is breathability that contributes to being a water-repellent material, making the skin's moisture evaporates quickly. The soaking feeling doesn't stay in the fabric, producing a relaxing feeling regardless of the wearer's sweat.
However, this feature doesn't mean that polyester can remove the sweat from the skin. But just because it is absorbent, the sweat is not soaking up the fabric. With this, the polyester cannot remove the bacteria and germs from perspiration. Worse, it can even attribute to the bacterial growth that lingers to the odour when washing. With these characteristics, the polyester has a distinct way of benefitting various consumers. Just like other synthetic materials, particular reactions occur in this textile. These also happen when it is combined with different fabric types like cotton.
Regardless, polyester is still a beneficial material, most especially in the fabric industry. For years, the Yorkshire Fabric Shop prides itself as one of the best fabric sources in the UK. Its various fabrics that are guaranteed to be the best in the industry strive to continue its commitment to providing the best fabric services to their clients. The shop is open anytime for those who want to check out their fabrics. The website is also accessible for those who want more information about its fabrics.